Gather with us on Sunday
8:15 a.m. - Worship in the Chapel
9:00 a.m. - Vietnamese Bible Study
9:00 a.m. - Breakfast in Fellowship Hall
9:30 a.m. - Intergenerational Sunday School in Fellowship Hall
10:30 a.m. - Worship in the Sanctuary
10:30 a.m. - Nuer Worship in the Chapel (4th Sundays)
Parking Update from Pastor Minna
The time has come…the parking lot West of the church is officially under construction. Over the next several months it will be made new - and we will have updated, more protected parking for our congregation and community!
I know the construction process will not always be easy but the outcome will be a blessing. So as we navigate this time of construction I encourage you to remind each other of this.
Below I have listed information about parking that is available while the lot is under construction.
- Parking available in our East lot between the church and Alba.
- Parking WITH shuttle available on the corner of E. 4th and Grand - just 1 block West of the church.
- You may use our church drive-up and an usher will park your car for you at E. 4th and Grand.
- Parking is available in the parking ramp 1 block East of the church, across Grand from the Historical Building.
- Street Parking (metered) is free on Sundays in the East Village.
- Parking available in our East lot between the church and Alba. Parking gate will be down to ensure members have parking. Simply use your key card to open the gate.
- Parking available in the parking ramp 1 block East of the church (across Grand from the historical building) is free and available for public use.
- Street Parking is metered from 9am-9pm Monday - Saturday. Make sure you put coins in the meter during these hours. The city will ticket you if meter is expired.
A reminder NOT to leave you car sitting in the drive-up. If you need assistance parking call the office 515-244-8913. We are here to help!
who we are
Capitol Hill Lutheran Church is a congregation in the East Village of Des Moines, Iowa. Our members were born on five different continents and are from 23 different countries and live throughout the metro area. We celebrate our cultural and ethnic diversity in all that we do. This makes things a little messy from time to time, but we think that’s a genuine expression of the body of Christ. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Capitol Hill Lutheran is the result of a merger of immigrant churches — Norwegian (Central Lutheran) and Swedish (First Lutheran). These congregations were safe havens for Latvians in the 1950s, Vietnamese refugees in the 1970s, and Sudanese refugees in the 1990s. They assisted in providing resettlement services to refugees of these and other countries by assisting with housing, education, food, and clothing for families in need.
Since the merger in 2001, Capitol Hill has continued to be a place for these refugees to worship and participate as full members of the congregation. Capitol Hill Lutheran is in partnership with Lutheran Services in Iowa to offer weekly English language classes to refugees and immigrants in our building. This past year, immigrants from the country of Eritrea have started worshipping here as well. Today we offer worship services in four languages. God continues to provide new opportunities for our congregation to become more diverse and more welcoming.
We are proud that, for generations, our congregation has been blessed by the presence of refugees and immigrants. We will, through the power of the Holy Spirit, continue to be a place where people of all nations will experience the grace and love of Jesus Christ.